The Chinese New Year falls on the 25th of january in 2020. Be ready to teach with the Chinese New Year No Prep Activities packet. It contains printables that cover all areas of learning such as reading, writing, and maths while teaching students about the Chinese New Year. There is a classroom survey, games, comprehension activities, writing prompts, maths activities, booklets to make, and more. See the full list of activities below.
Note that the 2019 pages have been updated for the 2020 Chinese New Year of the Rat.
The following activities are included in the Chinese New Year No Prep Activities Packet:
• Chinese New Year Addition Bump
• Chinese Zodiac Spin & Graph
• Can You Eat with Chopsticks Survey?
• Comprehension Check: Chinese New Year
• Chinese Lantern Festival
• Chinese New Year Picture Writing Prompt
• China Picture Writing Prompt
• What is your favorite part of the Chinese New
Year writing prompt (boy and girl versions)
• How would you catch a dragon writing prompt
• Chinese Numbers 1 to 10 tracing worksheet
• Count & Color Chinese objects
• Chinese Coin Addition
• Chinese Dominoes Addition
• Chinese Coins Subtraction
• Chinese Money Count (Tally Marks)
• Chinese New Year Word Search
• Label the Dragon
• Label the Rat
• Chinese New Year Scrambled Sentence (pig version)
• The Dragon Dance scrambled sentence
• Chinese Zodiac scrambled sentence
• What’s Your Chinese Animal Sign? (3 pages)
• Chinese Zodiac Animal Coloring pages (12
• Comparing New Year’s Customs Graphic Organizer
• Chinese New Year KWL Chart
• My Chinese New Year Book (Vocabulary): Make your own booklet containing Chinese New Year vocabulary with pictures to color and vocabulary words to trace
• My Chinese Zodiac Book: Make your own booklet containing Chinese zodiac animal pictures to color and words to trace
Below you will find a sample of the no prep activities included in the Chinese New Year No Prep Activities packet:
Chinese New Year 2019 Scrambled Sentence
Students construct simple sentences to match the picture. Then they write the complete sentence below.
This page has been updated for the 2020 Chinese New Year of the Rat.
The Dragon Dance Scrambled Sentence
This is another scrambled sentence activity which is suitable for Kindergarten and 1st grade students.
Chinese New Year Reading Comprehension Check
Students read and learn about the Chinese New Year in this comprehension check. This is an ideal activity for small reading groups.
Chinese New Year Writing Prompt
This Chinese New Year picture writing prompt contains a helpful word list to support writers with their spelling, a writing checklist and a cute coloring picture.
Label the Dragon
Labeling is an emergent writing skill and an ideal activity for Kindergarten and 1st grade students. A word list and letter boxes are provided to assist students in labeling the dragon correctly.
Can You Eat with Chopsticks? Classroom Survey
Can you eat with chopsticks? Students will be engaged and have so much fun doing this survey activity which covers math skills and cultural study outcomes at the same time.
Chinese New Year Count & Color
This quick counting activity is ideal for morning work, math centers, substitutes or for homework. Students count the Chinese objects and color the matching number. The cute pictures are perfect for the Chinese New Year.
Chinese New Year Addition Bump Game
This no prep activity is ideal for math centers. Children roll two die, add the numbers and place a counter on the result. But be careful! If another player rolls the same result they can bump you off.
Chinese Dominoes Addition Activity
The oldest domino set was found in China and dates back to 1120 AD! Reinforce basic addition skills with this worksheet in which students add the dots on each domino.
Chinese Money Count
Teach and reinforce tally marks with this fun cut and paste activity. Great for math centers or for homework.
I hope you find these activities helpful in your teaching during the Chinese New Year holiday period!